As the world descends deeper and deeper into madness, More people are looking at long term food storage options as a method of survival. When the food trucks stop running you will have only yourself to rely upon.
There are many companies offering freeze dried long term food storage options. Two of the main competitors in this industry are Wise Company and Mountain House Foods. Both companies have a wide variety of prepackaged foods ready for you to stow away for a rainy day.
Are there a lot of differences between these companies? In this post I explore the pros and cons of both Wise Company and Mountain House Foods.
Wise Company Foods
Wise Foods is the original company to offer long term food storage products. They are the pioneers of the food storage industry and have a leg up on most of the competition. Wise Foods have food storage kits ranging from 72 hours to an entire year. Wise products are best for the long term prepper who needs high quality foods that can last on the shelf or in the garage for years. Wise has a guaranteed shelf life on all their products up to 25 years. Wise implements an advanced packaging system which efficiently seals the food from air and moisture.
But what about tastiness you say? Wise has some very tasty meals. For being freeze dried, the meals taste decent. Freeze dried meals will never taste fresh but the meals are good enough to be eaten especially in a survival situation.
Here is a list of some of the foods you can look forward to woofing down:
- Cheesy Lasagna
- Creamy Pasta
- Pasta Alfredo
- Chili Mac
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Savory Stroganoff
- Hearty Tortilla Soup
- Potato Pot Pie
- Teriyaki and Rice
- Baked Potato Casserole
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Southwest Beans and Rice
- Cheesy Macaroni
- Strawberry Granola Crunch
- Brown Sugar and Maple Multi-Grain Cereal
- Crunchy Granola
- Apple Cinnamon Cereal
The foods listed above are available in 72 hour, week, month and 1 year food kits. I recommend picking up one of their 72 hour kits if you want to sample many of the dishes they have to offer.
Mountain House Foods
Mountain House is the first name that comes to mind when you think of camping and hiking foods. They have long been the standard for hikers who want an easy to make, tasty meal out on the trail. Simply open the package and add water and you have a meal ready to eat. Recently though they have started creating long term food storage products. These “Just in case” buckets offer 2 – 14 day supplies worth of tasty foods.
Here’s what’s in the Mountain House 14 day Just in case bucket:
- Breakfast Skillet 5x— A satiating mix containing hash browns, scrambled eggs and pork sausage with onions and peppers. This one is a true Mountain House classic.
- Biscuits & Gravy 3x— Buttermilk biscuits and pork sausage gravy. Biscuits and gravy are hard to get right in a freeze dried pouch but this one is very tasty.
- Eggs & Bacon 2x— Enough said. 2 pouches of everyone’s all time favorite breakfast combo.
- Eggs with Ham & Peppers 2x— Scrambled eggs with ham, green and red peppers.
- Granola with Milk & Blueberries 2x— A hikers favorite breakfast. I’ve found this one makes for a tasty treat at all hours of the day.
- Pasta Primavera 4x— Spiral macaroni with cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, red and yellow peppers, and green beans smothered in a Parmesan cheese sauce.
- Rice & Chicken 3x— Rice, chicken and pimientos in a savory sauce. Each pouch yields three 1-cup servings.
- Beef Stew 2x— A homemade classic. Tender, natural beef with potatoes, peas, and carrots. Each pouch yields 2.5 1-cup servings.
- Beef Stroganoff 2x— A Mountain House favorite. Beef, noodles and mushrooms smothered in sour cream sauce. Each pouch makes 2.5 1-cup servings.
- Chicken Fried Rice 2x— Long grain rice with chicken, scrambled eggs, onions, mushrooms, red peppers, peas and carrots. Each pouch yields 2.5 1-cup servings.
- Chili Mac with Beef 2x— Spicy chili sauce with beef, macaroni noodles, beans and onions. Yields 2.5 1-cup servings per pouch.
- Lasagna with Meat Sauce 2x— Pasta and cheese in a rich Italian style meat sauce. Each pouch yields 2.5 1 ¼-cup servings.
- Macaroni & Cheese 2x— A family favorite. Macaroni noodles in a rich, cheesy sauce. Each pouch makes three 1 ¼-cup servings.
- Mexican Rice & Chicken 2x— Rice, beans, and chicken with peppers, tomatoes and olives. A quick and easy dinner with a kick. Each pouch makes three 1-cup servings.
- Noodles & Chicken 2x— Pasta noodles, red peppers and tender chicken in a yummy cream sauce. Each pouch yields 2.5 1-cup servings.
- Italian Style Pepper Steak with Rice & Tomatoes 2x— Steak and colorful bell peppers complement onions, tomatoes and long grain rice. Each pouch makes 2.5 1-cup servings.
- Spaghetti with Meat Sauce 2x— A meaty tomato sauce paired with tender pasta makes for a satisfying meal. Each pouch yields 2.5 1-cup servings.
- Chicken Teriyaki 1x— Chicken, rice, mushrooms, bamboo shoots and other vegetables smothered in a tangy teriyaki sauce. Contains 2.5 1-cup servings.
Wise Company VS Mountain House
I’ve tasted and talked to many people who use Wise Foods and Mountain House for their freeze dried foods needs. I’ve found it comes down to a matter of personal taste. Some prefer the taste of Wise freeze dried foods while others prefer Mountain House. If you’re looking to make a large purchase from either company I recommend picking up a smaller kit to taste the goods. You don’t want to purchase a years supply worth of food only to find out you can’t stand the taste!
There are a number of kits you can purchase to get a full sample of the meals. For Wise, there is the 72 hour kit and for Mountain House there’s the 4 day emergency food supply kit. Both of these kits offer the full range of meals from both companies for you to test.
If you’re serious about long term food storage and want to stock up on a LOT of food, Wise is the clear winner here. They have 1 year supply kits for entire families. Mountain House simply does not have any long term products. However, if you’re only concerned with stocking up for a couple weeks at the most, Mountain House is a serious competitor and has very tasty foods.
The comparable entry level products for Wise Company and Mountain House Foods are the 72 hour kit from Wise and the 4 day kit from Mountain House. At the time of this writing, the Wise 72 hour kit comes in at around $50 bucks and the 4 day kit from Mountain House runs about $70.
Comparing other similar products like the Wise grab and go and the Mountain House Essentials bucket you can see that Wise is the better deal in all cases.
It’s clear that Wise Foods has the best deals and is the only option if you want a full years supply of freeze dried food. With that said, many people swear by the taste and quality of Mountain House. Is it worth the extra cost however? Like I mentioned, pick up a supply kit from both companies and test for yourself! It’s worth the extra money to buy food you love to eat over food you don’t.